VAL D’ISÈRE, FRANCE
- SLEEPS 10 IN 5 BEDROOMS
- 5,100 TO 17,000 GBP PER WEEK
The dining room is lovely, with spectacular views from the table and a log fire. The downstairs sitting room is enormous, with a big fireplace and even better views of the pretty hamlet of Le Fornet and the mountainsides leading up to Val d’Isère’s glacier.
This location is La Couchire’s real USP. Much of the best skiing in Val d’Isère starts 75 seconds from its door. The Fornet cable car might not win any awards for architecture (though the Pompidou Centre did), but it serves the best snow and emptiest slopes in the area. There are pistes for everybody, from long, easy blues to the wicked black Forêt mogulfield, and an infinite off-piste area. Now that even the highest runs have snow cannons, this is some of the most snow-sure skiing in Europe. Guests from La Couchire are already in the powder while everyone else is on the bus, and they can even be on the slopes of Solaise in no time, via the up-and-over or the never-busy Laisinant Express.
Le Fornet is at the very end of the Haute Tarentaise valley, where the road becomes piste. Although it is some distance from the village centre, it is not inconvenient for shops, ski schools or nightlife. The hugely popular Arolay restaurant and Michelin two-star Atelier d’Edmond restaurants are close by, and on the slopes just above are the excellent Edelweiss, many people’s favourite mountain eatery, and Le Signal, recently named best mountain restaurant in Europe.
- A chef and an assistant who live next door
- Return charter flights from Gatwick to Grenoble including ski carriage
- Passenger Taxes and Government Air Travel Duty
- Return coach transfers between the airport and Val d’Isère
- Food and Wine – breakfast every day and afternoon tea and dinner on six nights of the week.
- Unlimited wine with the evening meal until complimentary coffee is served
- Bed linen
- Towels (changed mid-week)
- Super bedrooms with en-suite bathrooms throughout
- Most rooms give option of large twin beds or huge doubles (please specify which you prefer when booking)
- Two log fires, DVD with plasma screen, separate dining room, ski room with boot warmers
- Stunning views of miles of mountains and the pretty hamlet of Le Fornet
LOCATION & ACCESS
- Fornet cable car 50m from front door, pistes 100m, bus 10m
- Rapid access to major ski area with glacier, empty pistes, easy pistes, off-piste, moguls and good mountain restaurants
- Val d’Isère’s best restaurant next door and most popular restaurant nearby