VAL D’ISÈRE, FRANCE
- SLEEPS 9-12 IN 6 BEDROOMS
- 3,600 TO 17,400 GBP PER WEEK
This is one of the oldest chalets in Val d’Isère. It has of course been entirely rebuilt inside, though it remains probably our simplest chalet. You are not going to be Snapchatting from marble bathrooms or hot tubs. However, it has a charming sitting-dining room under the rafters, with a wide balcony facing Solaise, and six pleasant bedrooms.
Two of the bedrooms are twins with views towards Solaise. Then there is a double room with its own en-suite washbasin. And there are three single bedrooms, a rarity in Val d’Isère. Two of these single rooms actually have a large double bed, while the third has a single bed plus a second bed up a ladder. When one party fills the whole chalet, the guests in any or all three of the single rooms can bring an extra person at half price – hence the total of twelve.
There are two baths, one shower and three wcs.
La Moraine always generates a very happy, friendly atmosphere, perhaps because of the good food that comes from its state-of-the-art kitchen, perhaps because it isn’t huge and doesn’t have a TV, forcing people to re-invent the ancient art of conversation (though it does have WiFi). Maybe it’s just the unlimited wine. It is a proper chalet at a time when so many chalets feel more like a collection of exhibits from the Ideal Home Show…
La Moraine is in the little farming hamlet of Le Joseray, opposite our chalet Les Gnellets. The lifts, the pistes and the main bus stops are all at most three minutes’ walk away, and you can ski back to within about 100m. Yet the only sound at night is an occasional moo from the neighbours.
- A chef and an assistant, who live out
- Return charter flights from Gatwick to Grenoble including ski carriage
- Passenger Taxes and Government Air Travel Duty
- Return coach transfers between the airport and Val d’Isère
- Food and Wine – breakfast every day and afternoon tea and dinner on six nights of the week.
- Unlimited wine with the evening meal until complimentary coffee is served
- Bed linen
- Towels (changed mid-week)
- Lovely conversion of a very old chalet
- Excellent living room under rafters, with state-of-the-art kitchen
- Wide, sunny balcony with view straight up Solaise
- Three single bedrooms so lots of flexibility as to who sleeps where
- Boot warmers
- Ground floor flat below the chalet, occasionally used by the owners
- Due to the proximity to neighbouring chalets, La Moraine is not suitable for loud groups
LOCATION & ACCESS
- In hamlet of Le Joseray, three minutes’ walk from lifts, pistes and bus, six minutes from centre