VAL D’ISÈRE, FRANCE
- SLEEPS 10-12 IN 5 BEDROOMS
- 4,000 TO 18,120 GBP PER WEEK
Les Gnellets was built a quarter of a century ago in the time-honoured local way, all wood and stone, with some of the rooms tucked in under the massive roof timbers. It is a pretty, comfortable and welcoming chalet.
The room the time-honoured locals obviously planned to spend most of their time in is the spacious, high-ceilinged, open-plan dining-sitting-room-kitchen, with its log fire surrounded by sofas, terrace, mezzanine etc.
Not to say that the bedrooms aren’t comfortable. There’s a super master bedroom with a balcony overlooking the Calabourdane stream, and both a bath and a very indulgent rain-head shower. Two other bedrooms have en-suite facilities, while the last two share a bathroom and separate loo. These two rooms are tucked under the rafters, up a staircase with not one but two low beams to test sobriety.
There are two more beds on the big mezzanine above the living room, which children or friends can take at half price, although we cannot guarantee flight seats for these two extra beds.
For some reason, Les Gnellets has always generated a particularly laid-back and contented atmosphere, possibly because it feels good, with all the larch and granite, perhaps because it is so convenient for skiing, with the cable car station and pistes not three minutes away. At night the loudest sound from without is the babble of the stream or the occasional lowing of Val d’Isère’s milk supply in the nearby farm. From within, there is occasionally a lot more noise, but Les Gnellets is one of our few chalets with no near neighbours to worry about.
The chalet is in the lovely hamlet of Le Joseray, six minutes’ walk from the village centre, though there are shops, bars and restaurants closer by, just two or three minutes away.
- A chef and an assistant who live out
- Return charter flights from Gatwick to Grenoble including ski carriage
- Passenger Taxes and Government Air Travel Duty
- Return coach transfers between the airport and Val d’Isère
- Food and Wine – breakfast every day and afternoon tea and dinner on six nights of the week.
- Unlimited wine with the evening meal until complimentary coffee is served
- Bed linen
- Towels (changed mid-week)
- Very popular ski chalet, spacious and full of atmosphere
- Long, high living room with log fire, verandah and mezzanine with extra beds
- Three bedrooms have en-suite facilities, two share the upstairs bathroom and separate wc
- Boot warmer
- No near neighbours, so insomniac clog-dancers welcome
LOCATION & ACCESS
- In the hamlet of Le Joseray, next to La Moraine, three minutes’ walk from lifts, pistes and bus, six from centre